Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Wooden Elephant for a Shirt

The clothing industry in Zimbabwe is in dire straits. The local clothing industry has no way of keeping costs low and competing with outside business that it has been truly weakened at its core. With the globalization of the clothing industry, Zimbabwean manufacturers will become more and more obsolete, yet the prices may become more bearable for locals buying clothing. In the town of Victoria Falls it is easy to see this impact on the local economy.
Trading Spot: Close to a few Pumbas (warthog)

Every time I walked around the town I was hounded by locals wanting to trade for the clothes that I was wearing (“man I really like your shoes” or “your shirt is nice”). It was common to see the Zimbabweans wearing American and European clothing brands of items that were traded directly from tourists.

As it is so expensive for locals to buy clothes they are persistent in trading their hand crafted items for clothing. While they are determined to make the trade possible, I had never found anyone willing to trade clothing straight for items without money. As money is the medium of exchange that ensures that they have basic necessities (food) for their survival it is critical that it is supplementary in the trade.

It is most always a win-win situation for both parties. Through the trade the locals will gain greater value and so will you, which is only one of the benefits of such activity. The trading was a valuable experience, particularly through the sharing of ideas. It was a means of getting to know through genuine dialogue. I made some friends who I continued to meet throughout my time, including Mark who offered to take me on a tour of his village area outside of Victoria Falls. In my 3 days in Victoria Falls I managed to trade off my jeans, a couple of small shorts and some socks. I came away with much more than just material possessions; a hope of a new Zimbabwe that is economically sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment