Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Exploring Victoria Falls

Victoria falls
Obviously if you are to make your way to the town of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe you will also have to head over to check out the falls. One of the seven natural wonders of the world, the falls are a sight to see. Some tourists even label it as the greatest destination in all of Southern Africa. Unfortunately the falls costs U.S. $30 to see which restricts it to tourists or people with some privilege. It is understandable that opportunities to make money such as these are implemented, but at what cost? Should it cost to see a natural wonder? More importantly for people that live in the land but are unable to see it due to financial reasons, what value does Victoria Falls carry for them in their life?

elephant at the river bank
 Victoria Falls is very vast and impressive containing a line of many different falls. It is rather hard to comprehend the length of the many fall components not to mention the great magnitude of the water. We happened to be there right at the end of the wet season when the water was at its greatest velocity. The spray of the falls was so powerful that it was hard to get close to the edge at any of the different stations. It was so present that a member of our group, Katie had her good camera ruined from the water spray and had to dry out her passport later on. But others who were traveling on this program during the first semester experienced a much drier Victoria Falls with only a small stream. Like Raucana Falls in northern Namibia the amount of water varied dramatically between the two seasons.

Mark and I
Another tourist experience was a cruise on the Zambezi River (the river that carries the water of Victoria Falls and also separates both Zambia and Zimbabwe). We went out on the boat at around sunset and as it was a booze cruise, it contained an assortment of free alcohol. We managed to see a couple elephant on the river bank and some hippo opening their mouths. Earlier that day I spent some time with the locals from the town of Vic Falls.

After meeting the persistent street sellers I got talking to a guy named Mark. I spent a couple of hours in the afternoon buying a number of wooden and stone products from him and about six other sellers. Afterwards I talked to Mark and he invited me for a Victoria Falls morning tour. I was excited by this prospect!

Mark's house
At about 8:30 in the morning he swung by the Shoestring backpackers and we were off and away. He firstly took me to his old school, than to a clinic where I met his wife briefly and finally to his house. We talked for hours about politics, economics and the socio-cultural climate of Zimbabwe as well as contrasts between Zimbabwe, Australia and the U.S. It was helpful to hear a perspective of someone with so much knowledge of the area. He was a guide to his village, but also Zimbabwe, Africa and his way of life.

Mark showed me his house in a quite newly developed area (the house was made about 4 years ago). He was about to get electricity and doors but had plumbing and running water. Mark is only 22 and has been married for four years with a child on the way.

baobab tree
The next day he took me to the marketplace where I traded and talked for hours. The openness and directness of the people in Victoria Falls was so apparent. It was easy to get chatting to each seller and move between every stall. Mark also took me to the “Great Baobab tree” (which was quite easily the largest tree I have seen in my life. My time with Mark and friends such as Stanley were the genuine experiences that will be cherished for a lifetime. Yes, I saw Victoria Falls, some animals and went on a cruise. But it was my experiences with the people that were most paramount to my time in Zimbabwe.

I look back with great happiness towards my experience in Zimbabwe. Spring Break was a time for fun, but also for a deep reflection on humanity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment